Sunday, August 19, 2012

Water - a precious thing

The water heater burst a couple of weeks ago and won't be replaced for a few more days yet. This means I've had no water in the kitchen, and no hot water at all. Thank goodness this happened in the heat of mid-summer rather than during the cold of mid-winter. What a learning experience I am having! Following the example of a good friend, I put plastic jugs filled with water outside in the morning. They heat up and just before sunset I retrieve them and place them in a thermal container. One jug is for my shower, the other for the kitchen. Of course I could heat up a kettle-full of water but it isn't the same.
One thing I am most grateful for is that I have water, and good water. For drinking, because it has chlorine added, I have three one-gallon jugs and let them sit for a few days. On each I have the words 'Love' and 'Thank You'. The water tastes wonderful.
I am also grateful for the water that I am using for my incredible garden. I say incredible because I have never had one so big before with so many vegetables, including lots of tomatoes and potatoes.  It's been a learning experience and one I have been enjoying immensely. Of course I have lots more to learn yet. You might say I am experiencing Gardening 101, using my Readers' Digest Canadian Guide to Gardening as a resource, and the folks at Durand Nurseries here in Christina Lake.
Meanwhile the US is experiencing a drought. Well we live in a culture that has to have a shower every day, even two, and a continent where it's important to have green lawns.
I'll not forget arriving in Canada in 1963 and seeing all the green grass and sub-division houses plonked on it. There were no fences, no divisions. Just one hugs green lawn. I don't recal seeing any real 'gardens' with vegetables and flower beds, just lots of grass to be mowed and watered. Lawns are definitely a North American trend.
About ten years ago I calculated how much water a neighbour of mine was using. He had three sprinklers going for two hours, sometimes twice a day. I figured he was using about 72 bathtubs full of water each time for his green lawn. And there was me trying to conserve by having a shower only every third day. Something is really wrong with this picture, especially when we learn of nations where there is no water, where women walk miles to get a few gallons for the day.
Water - a precious commodity. I give my thanks for water - it gives me life.

No comments: