Sunday, October 7, 2012

Canadian Thanksgiving - Remembering John Denver and Windstar

Today is Thanksgiving Sunday in Canada. It was this day 15 years ago (October 12, 1997), when I was sitting at my computer writing a story, that I heard the news of John Denver's plane crash. I was in shock. My dreams were dashed. I have big dreams and one of them was to perform with John. Audacious eh? Well if you have read some of my stories, or seen me perform, you will know that I do. OK, so you may think I'm crazy (that's OK), but if you were to read the story "Whales and Dolphins" you'll get the picture. Folks have even told me that he overshadows me when I sing. One elderly lady came to me at intermission once, unaware of this phenomena, and said, "Did you know that you look like John Denver when you sing his songs?" I gather this phenomena has been happening with a number of singers around the world. This doesn't surprise me. There's far more to life than meets the eye or can be proven scientifically. Let's just say, some things just 'are'.

And so it is no surprise that on this Canadian Thanksgiving Sunday, fifteen years after John's spirit went Home, that I received an e-mail from members of the board of directors of the Windstar Foundation (started by John Denver and his close friend Tom Crum back in 1976) informing me that the Foundation's spirit has been set free. It has now been merged into the Windstar Land Conservancy (about 900-plus acres that John donated in Aspen, Colorado) and the Rocky Mountain Institute, and remains in the heart of all those who have in any way been connected to it, contributed to it, benefitted from it - around the world.

The Foundation was once a thriving vision of the future, so far ahead of its time. "The heart of the Foundation was about collaboration, about peace, about you and me creating a brotherhood and sisterhood of stewardship and frienship, creating a global family of connectedness." It drew scientists like Buckminster Fuller and Amory Lovins, politicians and celebrities, and folks like you and me. It created a heritage of vision.

So, today feels like a turning point, as the open letter to members and friends was posted up on the Windstar web site at www.wstar.org.

From the mountains of British Columbia I give my thanks, for all that Windstar represented, for all that is in my own life, and for all this planet offers us at every turn. And in my gratitude I share with you the song "Thank You" that I wrote a number of years ago for Thanksgiving here in Canada. It's a simple video, one of my first, and includes photos I took in the John Denver Meadowlands in the Windstar Land Conservancy, the Rockies, and various scenes from this amazing continent and country, and my own backyard.


Thank You!
Happy Canadian Thanksgiving!
Rosemary

 

No comments: